Procedure for transferral
February 22, 2013 Wednesday, 13:56
Current Practice and Procedure for Returning Migrant Children and Youth
- There is no limitation for children and youth from migrant families to enroll Basic Education Schools as well as NFE related programmes such as Non-Formal Primary Education (NFPE), Primary, Middle, Extended and Continuous Education and Learning Project (EXCEL), etc.
- The Ministry of Education (MOE), Myanmar provides special programme to access basic education for migrant children and youth.
- If a group of the migrant children or any one who is willing to enroll in the basic education schools, the local authorities and the State Regional Education Director Offices, District Education Offices, Township Education Offices and Respective Basic Education Schools must facilitate the enrollment process in accordance with the current education policies.
- The procedure is simple. In case that the migrant children and youth obtain education in the MOE Myanmar recognized schools, the students can directly enroll in the schools upon presentation of the certificate of transfer or certificate of the grade.
- If the students are studying in non-MOE Myanmar recognized schools or non-MOE non-formal education programmes, the students must be set for the placement test organized by schools in which the students are willing to enroll.
- Most migrant children and youth are studying in the non-MOE Myanmar recognized schools and learning institutions. Therefore, the placement test shall be set for one lower grade level. For example, if the student is willing to enroll in grade 6, he or she must be set for grade 5 placement test.
- If the students cannot pass the placement test, the students can enroll in one lower grade than the level that he or she is willing to enroll in. For example, if the student would like to enroll in grade 6, but fails the placement test, he or she can enroll in grade 5 instead of grade 6.
Source: Ministry of Education, Myanmar